Peterson Tractor Co. was founded in the mid-thirties by Howard Peterson. It was incorporated on November 16, 1936 as the Caterpillar Dealership for the five bay area counties: Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, Alameda, and Contra Costa. Less than six months later, the company moved to new facilities in Hayward, CA.
Growth continued to push the young business to larger facilities until finally settling in its present 20 acre location in San Leandro, CA in 1948. Throughout the years, Peterson’s service coverage has tripled in size with the acquisition of older Caterpillar dealerships.
In 1977, Peterson’s engine division was given a home of its own. Peterson Power Systems moved to a 40,000 square foot facility two blocks away from the Peterson Tractor division. The new facility housed truck engine and industrial engine shops, a spacious 7,000 line item parts warehouse, plus offices and space to grow in. Since then, Peterson Power Systems has grown dramatically and earned a reputation of its own in the Northern California engine market.
Peterson continues to expand, with 17 operating locations in Northern California, Oregon, and southern Washington.